Monday 3 June 2013

Good old days


www.bodybynaturesupplements.com



Good old days

In 1959 ish (I would have been 4 or almost 5 years old) I can remember when the road workers dug a very large trench right down the middle of Dersingham Avenue to put in big concrete pipes, When the workmen were not around the site would be our play-ground...lol 

Us kids used to have great fun climbing up and into the concrete pipes, to this day I still have a small scar on the bridge of my nose where my foot slipped off of a metal step inside of one of the up-ended concrete pipes and I hit the top of my nose on the edge of the pipe as I fell.....blood everywhere!.... after a bit of fist aid I was back out with my mates for a game of war and the pipes and trenches made a ready made battle field....lol 
Outside our old house 299 Dersingham Ave was where the workmen had their tea hut and sometimes I would go and sit with them as they were a friendly bunch, there was an old oil drum outside the tea hut which they always had a fire going in to warm their hands over and I remember also they would cook egg, bacon and sausages on the back of the same shovels they would use for digging up the roads and they would make toast and also tea with water boiled over the oil drum fire in an old metal bucket....no McDonald's in them days...




No comments:

Post a Comment